11 September 2009

Cranky but...

The Tuesday clinic was busy, we got around 60 patients to see and that all had to be done before 2pm before the cardiology fellows kick in and wanting to start their own clinic duty.

One patient that I saw, a 70 year old lady in a wheelchair whom had all sort of medical illness under the sun. From gout to heart disease; stroke, hypertension to diabetes. You name it, she could practically be a walking pathology textbook.


What strike me was her personality. Although she's living in an old folks home without any surviving relative, she was pretty much more alive than I was on that day. Chirpy in characters and love making jokes with our staffs. Gee! She could be wearing a purple wedding dress and a red hat, and she could still beat Britney Spears' arse any given sunday.


Then I thought, it could probably be that she was just happy for some particular reason on that day. Perhaps she got a new set of dentures or she got lucky the night before. Who knows? Romance could still blossom in the old folks home right. The notebook, anyone?

However, when I flipped through the notes looking back at her previous clinic visits, even one of my friend agreed with my impression of her that day.


Then it finally sank to me, she probably has lived a wonderful fulfilled life. It is as simple as that. And all of those years have make her a generally cheerful person.
That alone is enough to bring a smile to my face for the whole day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doc,
Yeah, that sounds very much like me -- cranky but funny -- especially when I do remember where I'd last put those darn teeth of mine.

Unknown said...

Ah - therein lies the secret to her ripe old age, Doc. Take care and selamat berpuasa.

Pill Pusher said...

Andrea: Smile, live long and prosperous. In that order.

MWS: I'm gonna sell those secret to Oprah now :) Thanx.

Dottie With Dots said...

I watched TV3 Singgah Sahur programme the other day, they interviewed a 90 yo pakcik who look like he just turned 70. He joked around and surprisingly he could still recognise people (ie TV3 celebrities). Cool wasnt it?

Iron Butterfly said...

wow...