18 September 2009

The red rose that refuse to die

This evening as I was sitting there looking at the balcony. I thought to myself that as this Ramadhan is coming to the end, few things have managed to linger in my mind.



1. The beautiful colourful neon lights that shimmer the corridor of my late night on call duty.

2. A patient who died on one fateful Friday evening while the whole unit was on our way to break our fast at Midvalley. We stayed and worked on him for 1 hour. He didn't make it though.

3. The busy clinic workload with over 100 patients to see from 9am to 4pm. That includes a patient whom I caught red-handed with a cigarette pack in his breast pocket (while I was auscultating his heart) while swore to me before then that he had quit for good. The two of us had a really good laugh on that one. Not forgetting to mention a 70 year old makcik whom after knowing that I'm not married wanted to match-make me with her daughter. And a nenek who really want me to come over to her house for raya.






4. The early morning long-distance wake-up call that woke me up for sahur. Boy I'm gonna miss that one.




5. The after office-hour chess games that we indulged in while waiting for traffic to ease down before we hit the road. Last score, that guy beat me 8 to 6.

6. But even with all those in mind, the one thing that really matters to me is the thought that one day I hope the owner of this red rose would come back for it. Even though it no longer has life within it. But to me it is very much alive ever since the night I brought it home with me on June 19.




9 comments:

Unknown said...

Selamat Hari Raya Puasa, Dr. Tranquility. May the love in your heart that abounds regardless of circumstances continue to inspire you to live and to love to the max. Take care and may the Almighty bless you always.

Dottie With Dots said...

Its so hard to let go something so beautiful in life kan?

Eid Mubarak doc.

Anonymous said...

..When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long. And you think that love is only, for the lucky and the strong. Just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snows. Lies the seed that with the sun's love, in the spring, becomes the rose..

You deserve the love. You deserve the happiness. Don't just sit there and hope and wait. Go get it!

..besides, we do not want the clinic being perpetually filled to the brim with makciks feigning illness so that they can match-make their daughters with you. *laughs*

Pill Pusher said...

MWS: Thank you. I hope you have a merry holiday with your love ones. Take care.

DwD: Life is something that is not meant to be easy for those who want it otherwise.

Andrea: What can I say. "Rise early, strike oil" -- Paul Getty. As for the old ladies, they have form GH57 to fill in at the counter.

Carrie Tai said...

hey, long time nvr visit ur blog....

Selamat Hari Raya!

Anonymous said...

What can I say? Someone gave me rose, too, once. I kept it. Some 15 years later, I found it again squashed between the pages of a book. I said, "What the f--k! This one is over... " and threw it away. A few months later we met again. A few months after that we were married.

Unknown said...

..salam, doc..selamat belated hari raya..and good luck with the rose..

Pill Pusher said...

Ched: Cheers matey!

Bangkai: An ever lasting match made in heaven. The pen had been lifted, the ink has dries. The rest is history.

Pakmat: Selamat Hari Raya to you sir! The rose had its day.

Unknown said...

.yes, it had its day..but the fragrance lingers..wafting subtle colours..:)