15 August 2009

Think warm thoughts



The first half of last night on-call was not that bad, the High Dependency Ward was as usual fully occupied. But all of them were pretty much stable, none on inotropic or ventilator support. Couple of cases in the general ward tend to be manageable in the usual manner.

The tone however changed by 12 midnight. The first call came in from Anita the House officer (HO) on call telling me that a patient with a severe stage chronic lung disease secondary from smoking had a poor oxygen saturation monitoring.

I hurried to the patient's room to find him not breathing with no pulse palpable.

"Call the code and push the resus trolley!"

I jumped on him and started CPR. The HO was rather junior and looked quite stunned with the whole commotion, she said she never saw a patient collapsed before.

"That's just great" I thought.

"Don't worry there's always a first time. Grab those gloves and use the ambubag to ventilate him, follow my lead" I tried my best giving her a reassuring smile.

We worked on him for 45 minutes, however unable to revive him. I called the time of death and broke the bad news to his family. They broke down in tears.

**

By 3am I managed to laid down in the on-call room and found myself in a colourful carnival, the sun was bright, it must had been a warm Sunday afternoon. There were lots of balloon and clowns.

At 6.30am got a long-distance phone call which in a way kept me awake till morning, which was absolutely all right since I did not want to go back to sleep anyway. By 8.15am as my shift had ended and I was on my way home, my pager beeped again. There's a patient with a crashing blood pressure. The in-charge doctor in that unit had left and the new shift oncall has yet to arrive.

I made another 200m dashed to the unit and found that the patient was already ventilated to a machine. The cardiac monitor showed a Ventricular Tachycardia, the blood pressure was dropping faster than my idle brain activity could cope with at that time. I ran fingers along his neck and found a pulse.

"Bugger me! There is something on line 15, paragraph 1, page 80 of that little black book that deals with this type of medical emergency" The morning after your on-call is never designed to deal with an emergency situation like this.


BING! BING! Suddenly I felt like someone just sent me an online medical article to my woozy mind, which I hope not from our friendly wikipedia. It became clear then.

"Okay charge the defibrillator machine with synchronisation" I told the nurse.

"Stand back. Clear."

I held the paddles to his chest, gave them a bit of pressure and hit the button.

The patient on the bed jolted as I zapped him with 300J of electical energy sending him back to sinus rhythm.

Less than 5 minutes he went back into VT, but thank God the second cardioversion managed to sustain the heart in sinus rhythm.

That was a close one.

I lost one patient and got back another. Another tiring post call day and all my body craved for this morning is a hot meal and hot shower...

.. and perhaps nice warm thoughts too.











8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending Tranquility a big hot cuppa, a bowl of bubbling soup and a big warm hug for a job well-done. *grins*

And if you happen to see a giraffe in your fridge, it's not mine ok?

Unknown said...

Very well done, Dr. Tranquility! Am glad to get to know a dedicated doctor such as you, and one who can write with so much flair and style.

Take care and here's a bouquet of tulips for you cyber style...

Cheers!

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Awww..u poorr thing. Yes, nothing is like a nice warm cuppa and some thoughts on something warm..(hahahaha) or it is a warm thought of something..

Keep a smile with you, sir..:-)

Sir Pök Déng said...

You have a very daunting task. How did you manage yourself with all the on-calls hurling you like a shower of punches from a boxing exponent?

Doesn't it hurt you in the joint? Or does you simply feels like jumping off the building over a sudden depression?

I worked with DNA. We have no on-calls. :D

Pill Pusher said...

Andrea: Love those stuff you sent. The giraffe and the blue whale might just have to share the vegetable compartment for now.

MWS: The tulips looks nice on my screensaver. I'm not sure whether I did enough that day. With such much flair and style?? Hehe should I quit my day job and join dewan bahasa? Ops! :)

Ida: Just warm thoughts.. say no more.

SPD: I just dance with it. Fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee. You work with DNA huh? So you're a man of science after all. Be gentle with those PCR.

Dottie With Dots said...

Those are some of the reasons why I did not become a doctor, apart from my small brain.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't find your email address. Thought this might give your lungs a good workout after a tiring day. It's hysterical!!!

http://15malaysia.com/films/potong-saga/

Pill Pusher said...

DwD: Small has got nothing to with anything. Erm do I make sense here?

Andrea: Thanx for that!