03 August 2009

The patient



The patient is a middle age Malay male who came to the Emergency Department shortly before 9pm. He complained of fever since 5am the same day. By noon his fever became high accompanied with chills and generalised muscle ache and joint pain. By dusk, his sore throat became more evident. He told me that he was otherwise healthy.

The Prof (our respiratory physician), a man in his mid 40's happened to be in the ED that night briefing the ER crew regarding the latest Press Statement made by Tan Sri Ismail Merican on the worsening crisis of H1N1. Prof took one look at the patient in front of me, and quickly said


"We need to admit you because you have Influenza-like illness, but since you have been exposed to a lot of H1N1 patients last week, we can't be too careful."


I arranged for his bloods investigations, chest X-ray the whole lot and sent him to the ward.


I checked back on him 2 hours later and by then he had already received his antibiotics, antiviral and on IV drip.


That's when he asked me, which I thought was strange "So how are you feeling, much better?"


"I dunno... I still have the fever, I guess it's too soon to tell" I replied.

I looked back at the figure who asked me that question, it was actually a lady nurse who came to checked my vital signs and changed my IV fluids. That man had disappeared, and I am the patient after all.





8 comments:

Dottie With Dots said...

Reading this is like watching one of Quentin Tarantino's movies.

Lemme get this right. You attended a H1N1 positive patient and now you're admitted?

The nurse who checked on you was she not a she or was he a she?

Anonymous said...

They gotcha, didn't they Doc? The enemy of the states?

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Hmmm..I hope you are feeling ok now..(still puzzled)

Unknown said...

Hi Dr. Tranquility

Please take care and may you be on the road to recovery asap.

May the Almighty bless you always.

Pill Pusher said...

DwD: Your points were taken into consideration. Mr Tarantino had asked me to do few adjustments otherwise it would be a crazier than pulp fiction.

Enida: They nearly got me buddy. Missed by few inches.

Ida: I'm feeling better but still warded.

MWS: Thank you for your concern. I appreciate it :)

Chan said...

get well soon.. doc. =)

Anonymous said...

Wow!this swine flu is more serious than I had envisaged. Until I read this post, I didn't realise that mental disorientation is one of the symptoms! *laughs* Hey, you get well soon, k?

Pill Pusher said...

Chan: Thank you friend.

Andrea: Hey give the sick man some room for creative writing will ya :)