15 April 2010

Emotional intelligence


Have you ever got caught up in a moment where you wish you'd be more prepared to handle it?

No. I'm not talking about handling the situation. But handling yourself.

Either in public or personal interaction regardless whether they know you or not.

I got caught up in that situation recently.

Lost my cool and the way I respond toward a complete stranger. It was utterly unacceptable no matter at whichever angle I tried to rationalize my action.


I went home that night thinking what the fuck had happened. And most importantly 'what was it' that I try to prove. That I am a macho guy and a force to be reckoned with? Do I truly believe that I can command respect in that manner?

I should have been more responsible* with my action.

I wish my friend was not there to witness the ugly side of me. The side that I thought was buried and lost forever within the sands of time.

Well I reckon it is never too late, because making a mistake is an unfortunate thing. However, repeating the same mistake is just plain stupid.

______________________________________________

*Response-able = Able to choose a respond which is not based on other people's behavior toward us, but merely based on one's own value.

5 comments:

Pat Ong said...

Hi Dr T, don't be too hard on yourself :)

There will always be a tension between what we know we ought to do (to behave responsibly) and what actually took place (to be terribly irresponsible!). This is by no means an excuse, but y'know things do happen.

But above all else, like you said, the silliest of all is to repeatedly make the same mistake :) So cheer up, it's not the end of the world. Not yet! :P

Dottie With Dots said...

I was talking to a friend about this earlier today. And I said this to him:-

"As we grow older, it's not the things we did that we often regret, but the things we didn't do. That's why God created tomorrows for us to make things up."

Something good sometimes would come from the mistakes we've made doc.

zara said...

It does happen without we even realize it, so don't blame yourself yea. Sabar... :)

Pill Pusher said...

Pat: Thanx I learned my lesson. A lesson I might forget. But what the heck I'll relearn it again if I have to.

DwD: "That's why God created tomorrow for us to make things up" - I like that. A lot. Thank you.

Zara: You're right. A wise girl indeed.

Anonymous said...

Caught up in a moment, aye? Fret not, it happens to *ehem* the best of us, too *smirks*

But life is funny.. it reminds and tests us by presenting the same situation in different guises at varying intervals until we learn our lesson.

Chill, bro and move on.