20 November 2010

The sum of your life


I've been thinking. Tomorrow it will be twenty-eight years to the day that I've been in the service, twenty-eight years in peace and war. I don't suppose I've been at home more than ten months in all that time. Still, it's been a good life. I loved India. I wouldn't have had it any other way. But there are times when suddenly you realize you're nearer the end than the beginning...

... And you wonder, you ask yourself, what the sum total of your life represents. What difference your being there at any time made to anything.

I don't know whether that kind of thinking's very healthy, but I must admit I've had some thoughts on those lines from time to time.

-- Col. Nicholson
The Bridge on the River Kwai


****

That classic movie scene has made me thinking...

Have my existence in this world bring any positive difference to the lives of people around me?

Have I been a good man?

3 comments:

zara said...

The right person(s) to answer such Q is/are those who've been affected by you directly or indirectly. If we answer it on our own accord, we'll be bias. We'll think that enough is not enough or vice versa. Sometimes, not knowing if you made any difference to the lives of others will give you a peace of mind.

I'm sure you made positive difference to those around you. Everyone does.

Al-Manar said...

Do call on us and see what Pakcik has to say on this subject.

Pill Pusher said...

Zara: You made perfect sense there. Thank you for your kind words too. May God bless you.

Al-Manar: Call? like ring-ring u meant?