20 February 2009

a girl


"Doctor.. hi" A girl smiled at me.


I smiled back. Strange. Haven't seen her before.


She's around 15 - 17 years old.


She's still smiling.


I'm thinking hard. Nothing came to me.


"Last month, my grandmother passed away"


****


I heard an anguish cry came from the next cubicle followed by hurried footsteps walking away.


After a while. I left the ward and as I turned to the elevator, I noticed a small figure sat down on the floor next to a toilet.


The elevator door opened. But something stopped me.


I turned back and walked to the person who's obviously to me now -a young girl crying unconsolably. Her face was buried between her knees.


I sat in front of her and asked her what had happened.

Her grandmother had just died. And she's angry at the hospital staffs for their lack of attention when she's at her death bed.
"They didn't care. My granny asked for just a drink"

I tried to console her, but to no avail. She's beyond anything then.


Finally, I left her there as I saw her parents came to pick her up.

I didn't get the chance to take a good look at her face. Let alone to remember it.

****

"I just wanna say thank you"

"That's all right. So you're okay now?"

"I'm okay.. yeah "

"That's good.. well I see you around" I walked away.

I looked back one last time "Okay dik.. Take care now, be strong".

She smiled.

No comments: