02 November 2009

Second life


I saw a public health poster reminding us to bring our mom to health service. Which reminds me that all the things in our life may not come true without her existence. That may include our very own presence in this world.

If one drives to Terendak Camp in Melaka, within the 4th Regiment compound you will come across a huge 15 feet in depth fish pond. I was 8 years old when on one fateful day I found myself at the bottom of that pond. The murky green water had filled part of my lungs making them harder to inflate with every passing second. What occurred for few minutes feels like forever when you are somewhere between life and death.

At that very moment I saw another person in that fish pond. A figure of a girl roughly 2 feet in front of me. She smiled and pointed up toward the surface gesturing me to swim upward. Retrospectively, perhaps my brain had become hypoxic of oxygen and started to play trick on me. Visual hallucination. Funny enough, I did not feel I was in any grave danger. Not a strike of fear or panic engulfed my mind. I feel protected as though someone was there all the while telling me that everything is gonna be all right.

Just before my vision became fuzzy I saw another figure came right from above me with arms wide open and pulled me out of the pond. An army sergeant came by to help and gave me pulmonary resuscitation for 5 minutes.

***

My mom... up until this very day never know how to swim. On that day she jumped into that pond without hesitation and saved me.

Happy birthday Mom.
Thank you for everything.








5 comments:

The Tea Drinker said...

such a heartwarming post!

Dottie With Dots said...

happy birthday to your mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Doc,

Here's sending birthday hugs to your Mom. May she be blessed with good health, the love of her family and joy, today and everyday.

I realised that we usually take our mothers for granted when we are younger. But as we get older and have families of our own, we tend to see things through her eyes and walk in her shoes. There have been times when I even catch myself berating the pink fairy and/or the husband in the same words that my mother had used - SCARY!!! But it is a humbling thought indeed when we look back and recall all the sacrifices that our mothers had made for us - without condition, without hesitation, without expecting any thank-you.

Of course, when we call them, not for any specific reason but just to hear their voices and tell them that we love them, what would they say "Are you OK? What are you up to?" *laughs* We may be long in the tooth but to them, we are still their babes.

Pill Pusher said...

Tea drinker: Cheers matey. Have a tea on me.

DwD: Mom said thank you ;)

Andrea: That is true, although we're big & tall, we're always be her little kid. Treasure that.

Unknown said...

..nothing, but nothing, can overcomes a mother's love..its total and unconditional..but can we say the same thing to a child's love for her mother..?..when parents have to sue their children for upkeep..and the right to stay in a house that was once theirs and had it transferred out of love, to the child..?

..you'r blessed with your mother's love..and she is blessed with yours..

..wished her happy birthday for me, doc..may both of you be blessed with lasting happiness..