11 September 2010

The cancer who stole Aidilfitri


I went inside the ward and negotiated my steps along the corridor. My peripheral vision caught the sight of a nurse who called me in less than 4 minutes ago. I could sense the sadness engulfing the place.

I knocked the door and entered the dimly lit room. There was a man lying on the bed with a woman sitting beside him.

"He just died a while ago" Sarah, my medical officer whispered to me.

I looked at his medical notes.

"33 years old. Pancreatic cancer"

(for a brief moment, Randy came to mind)

He was about my age, I thought.

As I walked away, I noticed a familiar-looking old man on TV had just finished making the Raya announcement.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inalillahiwainalillahirajiun.. I received a lot of sad news pre-aidilfitri & on the day itself. That's the last Ramadhan for them.

But 33 yrs old having pancreatic cancer? Age is nothing it seems..

Salam Aidilfitri Maaf Zahir Batin..

-zara-

Anonymous said...

Doc, you mean *gasp* that you were on-call on Raya Eve? Alahai! kesiannya.

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying time with the family. No place like home for the Raya, eh?

P.S: Am sure your mom/ your aunties/ the mak ciks in the neighbourhood etc would be busy trying to match-make you to some chick this Raya *LOL*

Sir Pök Déng said...

good people die young? How about us yang masih hidup?

Damn I don't know how does it feel when someone you love the most passed away on Malam Raya.

Pill Pusher said...

zara: cancer doesn't pick its victim it seems

andrea: no. that happens 2 nights before raya. yup a lot of introductions.. and I hid behind the curtains

spd: I don't know either. painful it must have been for them.

Dottie With Dots said...

Too young to die. I had a cousin who died at 16 of AML. Even younger.

Know what, I thought that old man looked familiar too. And I saw another familiar face on tv few days ago.