26 March 2009

Farewell to stranger


"Life is shorter than you could imagine. Better make full use of it. Don't just sit on your chair whining about how bad life is treating you" He uttered those words slowly yet in a steady strong manner.

I could tell that it was one of his good days, the time when the pain was not that bad and he could breathed normally, sipped his tea while throwing some random advice at me while I looked at his pain-relief chart. Nothing could take 'chatty personality' away from a man. Not even cancer.

The old man was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer few weeks before I met him. One of the most painful entity ever known to mankind. Though the dull intermittent pain could be ease down with regular doses of morphine. Still at time he would jolted and whimpered in agony due to what we call 'breakthrough pain'.

His wife died many years ago and his only child was living abroad but often came home to visit him. A stubborn man he was, he insisted to stay on in Malaysia, believing that one should die on the same land as one were born. Well fortunately he had a maid to help him manage those final months of his life.

He passed away almost 4 years ago, in his sleep. Just few weeks before his 70th birthday.

"I have regrets y'know. Few of them, but I've lived my life to the fullest. The only thing I wish for is to have my wife here with me - even for a few second..."

"... I just wanna look at her one last time before I pass on".

He smiled gracefully.

9 comments:

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

:)..a real life story of true love. I wonder how will mine be.

Pill Pusher said...

I'm sure yours is an on going wonderful story.

Sir Pök Déng said...

Perhaps, that's going to be me. You write good stuffs, mate.

Pill Pusher said...

Cheers matey, not as good as yours though ;)

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Gosh, listening to "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" gives me goosebumps. Thanx for sharing such a wonderful song, Doc.

Pill Pusher said...

You're welcome, Georgie got smooth voice there. It goes in my top 5 'Sappy songs, but whadeheck, i like it anyway' list. :D

Unknown said...

This post reminds me of some of my friends and relatives. Somehow, when we have deep roots in one place and an even deeper love for someone, life is never the same again anywhere else...

Lovely post. Thanks.

*sniff*

tissue please....

Pill Pusher said...

now now.. wipe those tears.

some of us if lucky enough will find that right person in our lives... and hopefully grow old together gracefully.

orang sesat said...

you remind me of a man who was very dear to me...but the different between the man i know and the man you treat is that my man got the chance to be with the whole family before he passed away... Al-fatihah to the man i know and missed so much, my daddy...