21 March 2009

Passive on call


6pm - Call from respiratory team, they just saw a patient with suspected TB meningitis. They've started the anti-TB meds. Somehow still wanna do CT brain with contrast, and if no hydrocephalus. They want me to proceed with lumbar puncture (LP) . Yeah right in middle of night. Like that gonna change any management for the night. Come on guys, I despise your sense of humour.


7pm: A 43y male with acute myeloid leaukaemia M4 on HIDAC regime developed rash and facial flush. No laryngospasm. Lungs clear. No anaphylactic shock. Discussed with hematologist. IV hydrocort 200mg IV with IV piriton 10mg. Stay cool.


8pm: 54 y male with Wallenberg syndrome a week ago now had his BP skyrocketed to 200/100 while on 3 anti-hypertensive meds. I started him on IV GTN 5 mcg/min. Let bring the baby down slowly.


1opm: The guy who need LP had multifocal infarct shown on the CT brain, looks like an innocent by-stander. Vital signs stable. Anyway, as much as I 'wanted' to do the LP. His relatives were not around to sign the 'informed consent' form. Damn it - looks like tomorrow's job then.


11pm: Got call from standard 6's classmates. They wanna have quick reunion. So had few drinks and dinner in front of the hospital.


12.30am: Zzzzzz


630am: Fresh saturday. Were I'm oncall last night?

6 comments:

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

:)..yes, you were on call last nite. I do not know what are these medical jargons you used, but I am sure you have done lots of wonderful things to help the needy.

Tq for visiting my blog..

Stay true to your heart..Ida

Pill Pusher said...

Ida, thank you for the nice encouraging words.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

Your posts remind me of my previous life as a doctor's wife *chuckles*

Pill Pusher said...

Andrea,
Was the sneaky Katherine there as well? haha

Anonymous said...

Thankfully no... 'coz my ex-husband hated cats; which was fine by me. *grins*

Pill Pusher said...

Can't blame him eh. He must have gotten the anti-feline antibody. Btw, I'm imagining Ms Katherine looks like Cheshire Cat :))