06 March 2009

Flashback

I was called up to see a late referral at 1am the other night. The surgical had messed up this one pretty good. What started as an upper abdominal pain was seen and dismissed because per rectal examination was omitted and it's only late at night when someone realised that the haemoglobin had dropped from 10 to 6 g/dl.

Intravascular volume depletion is the name of the game and they managed to do some damaged control by pumped in multiple bags of pack cell transfusion and colloid drip to stabilise the blood pressure and planned for an urgent scope.

I arrived at the scene and almost had a heart attack when I saw the patient in the most unimaginable state. I could almost here the sound of 'exorcist' music tune played in the background.


"Hey don't look at me, that uncle like it that way" Ganesh the surgical MO gave me the defensive look.

"Well just tell him that fashion is so 70's, plus be careful of what you wish, coz you might get it" I gave him a dry smirk.

After completed my assessment I fixed my eyes on Ganesh "Here's the scoop buddy, urine's is kinda slow here but that's because he's dry, don't worry he's non-acidotic and potassium in normal. You fix the tummy and pour in the blood, once the bleeder is caught, his hydration and kidney would behave like a good boy".

As I walked out of the ward, I heard Ganesh's spoke over the phone to the scope room "Okey guys we're going in!"

I smiled. That somewhat sounds familiar.

No comments: