29 March 2009

Memory lane No 1



Back in winter 1999, somewhere in a remote area, an old huge hospital stood grandly on top of a green-hill next to a 6 acre park.

A pimple-ridden medical student was all eager in doing his first ever ward round with a group of housemen, registrars and consultant. The team stopped by a patient who was looking rather breathless on oxygen support ventimask 24%.

"So Malaysian lad! What do you know about Chronic obstructive airway disease" Professor James Conaglen a 68 year old medical consultant took off his reading glasses and gave his infamous cold icy stare toward the rather innocently-looking medstudent.

With his clean crisp white coat the 6' 5' giant easily towered everybody else in the team physically & emotionally so to speak.

"Well sir, the disease is characterised by (bla bla) in which (yada yada) and last but not least, the treatment would include ( badabim bada bush)." in one confident single breath.

"Boy, humor me for a while here will ya, did you find yourself constipated this morning?" Conaglen grew a nasty-looking smirk at the corner of his lips.

"Err not really, why would you asked that?" the young man smelled something was bloody rotten in the state of Denmark.

(drum roll...)

"Because son, I think you are full of shit." He laughed away, savouring his golden moments.

Funny, after all these years. That's the only thing that I could remember from his teaching round (except of course the case of a 50 year old bloated lady who farted every 5 minutes).

+++

Btw folks, Earth Hour was here at 8.30pm last night. All the wards including the ICU have pledged its full support and were all excited in joining the mass effort in saving our world energy.

Or is that really what's going on? - any brave conspiracy theorist out there?

"Yippie kayeeeee mother-earth!!"



13 comments:

Sir Pök Déng said...

Yeah I was wondering the same thing too about the patients in the hospital. How about the oil rigs?

Pill Pusher said...

Plot thickens eh? I'm sure those oil rigs would not be stopped. The drilling must goes on my friend.

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

This Earth Hour thingy has great effect on a shoppaholic like me. I had to cut short my groccery shopping last night because Tesco had pleaged to shutdown 70% of its energy, for 10 minutes.

My shopping ended sooner than expected. A good way to curb extra spending.

Pill Pusher said...

That would be a good premise for the next shopaholic series.

Only 70% for 10 mins? Tesco had been a bad boy. Shall we all boycott it?

Unknown said...

Hi Tranquility,

I am so sorry that it is only now that I realised you have a blog.

Love your writing and am going to add you to my blogroll in both my blogs:-).

My other blog is at masterwordsmith-unplugged.

Your post reminds me of some of my former students who are now either in med school or are docs :-).

cheers

Pill Pusher said...

Masterwordsmith,

No worries bro. Thanx for dropping a line. As for adding me in your bloglist.. phew me? What an honour.

Cheers back at ya!

Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine also got picked on by his consultant all the time when he was a med student in Adelaide. I'm beginning to think these people (consultants; not med students) are monsters.

I want to be a consultant ;-)

Pill Pusher said...

Mr Bangkai, what a splendid observation. I believe that these consultants meant no harm - shall we call it tough love then.

Haha unless my consultant really hated my gut last time.. Hmm Dang!

Maya said...

Cool! Me me me me....I have my harddrive filled with conspiracy theories...:)

I think we should do the Earth Hour thingy at least once a month.....

Carrie Tai said...

Earth hour is so meaningful. But dont tell me we are going to have earth hour every day.... i will faint! haha

Pill Pusher said...

Maya: Ah another conspiracy theorist. Once a month. Wow! Look what happen to Ida and the TESCO's fiasco. Huhu I don't think so.

Cheddarina: Not just you, count in all the people on breathing support. Gulp.

Anonymous said...

*laughs* sometimes I get the impression that CONsultants are nothing more than schoolyard bullies hiding behind fancy designations and corporate suits. Like Bangkai, I would like to be a CONsultant when I grow up.

Pill Pusher said...

Andrea: They are bullies in their own right. Hmm okey count me in - being CON-sultant ain't a bad idea