01 May 2009

Malaena


Melaena [məlē′nə, məl′əna]

Etymology: Gk, melas, black
abnormal black tarry stool that has a distinctive odor and contains digested blood. It usually results from bleeding in the stomach.

(From Mosby's medical dictionary)

****
It was late at night, when the alarm in room 4 went off. I quickly made my way to the room and assess the unlucky chap. A 40 year old admitted yesterday for acute heart attack causing heart failure. He was promptly thrombolysed, intubated and put on aspirin.
Nothing wrong with the treatment - what should have been done, had been done.
However his blood pressure was on the low side.
Could it be he's in cardiogenic shock? Septic shock?
Damn it. Think. Think. You better hurry up boy!

"Nurse, could I have FBC, RP, coags and an ECG ASAP please"

Then I smelled it.

That unmistakable very foul odour. The one and only... 'Melaenic stool smell'.
Oh no! He might have an internal bleeding.

I quickly yanked away the blanket, and as I was about to examine his bottom. One of the nurse whispered to me.

"Doc, Err that smell...
... that was me".
(Uncomfortable silent)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL!!! Classic... *clapping*

I misread it as Malena and thought you were going to write about the love of your life *blush*. Old ladies like moi are far too presumptuous and sentimental.

Have a good day.

cheers

Anonymous said...

*eeeeoooouuuuwwww* And you would have thought that she would have known better!!

As an aside, few weeks ago, my FIL was down with dengue. On the first night, he had to share a room with another person 'coz all the single rooms were all taken up. When he was discharged on the fourth day, I bumped into the Indonesian maid who was looking after the patient who shared the room with my FIL on the first night. As a courtesy, I asked the maid how her 'tuan' was doing. Guess what she whispered: Ibu, saya ingat bapak nak pi (pergi), semalam tahi dia hitam busuk.

When I asked my housekeeper about it later, she told me that some ppl believe that when a person is at their deathbed, one of the indication is that their stool would be very black and very smelly. Uhmm.. fact or myth?

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Hahahah..so did you examine the nurse after that? :)

Pill Pusher said...

MasterWS: Haha really? the pun wasn't intended. I bet you're one romantic person too. Lucky hubby you got there.

Andrea: Dengue with malaena are never meant to be together. Gimme shiver down ma spine.

Yeah no wonder, coz malaena --> bleeding --> death. :)

Ida: ..and the plot thickens --> either ends up in a gray anatomy style or some sleezy B grade movie

Pill Pusher said...

oh yea andrea.. thanx for sharing that story :)

Sir Pök Déng said...

Doc, I think you should go for Shrub's audition. Or Dr. House?

Pill Pusher said...

Sir PD: I did but they said I'm far too annoying for House's part and way too loony for Scrub series ;D